CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
I'm only here tonight because of you. You are the only reason I am. You are all my reasons.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

We Women are Weird: Acting [but not Thinking] Our Age

So it is a known fact that men don't understand women, and women don't get men.
My simple explanation is that guys are just stupid and girls are just crazy - and some would argue that women are crazy because men are stupid... but I won't. Because I know better.

Crazy - maybe. Weird? Oh yes. We all have our own brand of course, but some things hold true across the board. For our purposes, I'll speak of the weirdness of being in your 20s, among other things.


And because I've used the word several times already, I'm just gonna throw this out there: I don't consider myself a "woman". At the risk of sounding like Britney, I'm obviously waaaay past the prime of referring to myself as a girl, but "woman" just sounds so... matronly?


Basically by all definitions, I am considered by society to be a woman. I'm female and a legal adult, I'm a college graduate, have had a full-time job for 4+ years, I pay my own bills, I literally OWN the title for my car, I live with my boyfriend, I cook dinner and sometimes even use a crockpot for crying out loud! I have all the credentials, believe-you-me.


What I lack however, is the mindset. In my head, I still believe I see everything as if I were a 15 year old girl! It's like I'm going through the motions of adulthood (obtaining an income, paying bills), but I don't think anyone else should be buying it. Heck, I don't buy it! It's like I'm in a giant game of chicken with the universe, and I'll just keep pretending until it gives up and says "OK, good job, but now you can move back in with your parents and go on family trips to Disney for free and have summer and holidays off every year and never have to cook dinner again! Oh and surprise - your teenage metabolism is back! Enjoy wearing pants in the single digit sizes again!!"
Sadly, this hasn't happened yet.


In the meantime, I'll continue through my "adult" life playing the part of a mature and respectable member of society. I will also continue to painstakingly mull over my daily outfits as if they utterly define who I am. I'll continue to stress about feeling accepted by co-workers/boyfriend's friends/any new group of people. I'll eat ice cream for breakfast some Saturdays just because I can. I'll size up pretty much every female I meet by determining in what way she's prettier than me. And most importantly - I will cry over the silliest things as if they were the end of the world.


And this is one issue I know I'm not alone in. I've had multiple discussions with friends about it, and my best friend Lindsey even mentions it in her own blog. She touches on what might be the craziest part of this whole concept: not only does it apply to my 20-something peers... but to generations before us as well?
Were our mothers in the same mental state of confusion/age crisis when they were having kids and raising us?? I mean, I know nothing of parenting styles, baby food, and toddler fashion vs. function. Why didn't they have classes for these things in college? Maybe they did when our moms were our age?

They just always seemed to have it so together back in the day - and obviously I was lucky to not have had parents with more blatant isssues - but is it possible they were really just sort of flying by the seats of their pants too?

The mind, it boggles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment